The company was founded shortly after World War 1 as the Kent Plating & Enamelling Co by brothers Charles and Fred Norman, making frames in a garden shed off Jemmett Road, Ashford. In the 1920s they moved to larger premises in Victoria Road, Ashford, and progressed to producing cycles. In 1935 they had a factory built in Beaver Road, Ashford, and the company was renamed Norman Cycles Limited. In 1938 it produced an autocycle (a heavier-duty bicycle with a small engine - later commonly known as a moped). In addition to cycles the company went on to produce mopeds and light motorbikes (with motors supplied by manufacturers including Villiers, British Anzani; Sachs engines were used for the Norman Nippy moped). The company produced many thousands of cycles and motorbikes. Weekly production was said to peak at 5,000 bikes, 600 mopeds and 120 motorbikes. It exported to Commonwealth countries using the Rambler trademark. The company had sporting success. By 1950 Norman Cycles had been acquired by Tube Investments, which used the Raleigh name for cycles. The Ashford factory closed in 1961. Although products bearing the Norman name continued to be made (Nottingham for cycles and Smethwick for mopeds and motorbikes), the heyday had passed and the name ceased in sales literature after 1963. In tribute, a road close to the site of the 1935 factory is named Norman Road. Norman Cycles does not appear to have any connection to Norman Engineering Co. of Leamington Spa and Warwick, makers of industrial engines.